Government Agency(s)/Competent Authority
Authorized Government Agency(s):
The Ministry of Agriculture (MOA) is the leading Government agency for the organic sector; its Agriculture and Livestock Service (Servicio Agrícola y Ganadero – SAG) regulates organic production and certification.
Agency(s) Contact Information:
Organic Regulations and/or Standards
Name(s) of Regulation and/or Standard:
Organic Law No. 18.755, from Agriculture and Livestock Service, modified by Law No. 19.283
- Law No. 20.089 (.pdf in English) which Creates the National Certification System for Agricultural Organic Products
- Decree No. 36 approving Regulations from Law No. 20.089 which created the National Certification System for Agricultural Organic Products
- Decree No. 17 approving Technical Standard from Law No. 20.089
"Guidelines for the registration of organic products certifying bodies and small ecological farmer organizations"
- Resolution No. 7880 of November 29, 2011, which sets minimum content certified for use in organic farming under Law No. 20,089
Date of Implementation:
Regulation and/or Standard Scope:
The regulation establishes requirements for the production, processing, labeling and marketing of organic products, and applies to processed products, plants, animals, livestock, beekeeping, fungal products, and wine.
Small ecological farmers: Organizations made up by small producers, families, farmers and natives with juridical personality whose annual sales do not exceed the equivalent to 25000 Index-Linked Units (Unidades de Fomento, UF1) are required to register but not to be certified. Can use their own standards but must have a system that is an alternative to certification and allows consumers and supervising agencies free access to the
Imported Products Requirements
Organic products must be certified.
There are two options for imports:
1. If the country of origin has a competent authority to monitor compliance with its rules, the import must be accompanied by the Transaction Certificate which must be issued by a certificate registered in the country of origin recognized by a Competent Authority. The certificate must indicate the quantities imported certified under organic standards supported by the Competent Authority of the country of origin. Additional required information includes:
- Name and address of the Certification Body certifying export.
- Name and address of carrier / importer.
- Product trade name, quantity and condition (organic / in conversion / transition).
- The transaction certificate must clearly indicate whether it covers a lot or more, and indicate the number or lots.
- Signature and seal of the Certification Body of the exporting country.
2. Where there is no competent authority in the country of origin, the products imported as organic must be verified by a certifier registered with SAG.
More details (.pdf, in Spanish)
Certification and Accreditation
In order to be recognized as organic, products must be certified either by a certification body or by a Small Ecological Farmers Organization registered with the competent authority. Certification is mandatory for marketing products as organic or its equivalents, such as "ecological products" or "biological products" and use the official seal that expresses said quality.
A register of certifiers is available.
National Institute of Standardization (INN) or by another accreditation body that is a member of the International Accreditation Forum (IAF) or the Inter-American Accreditation Cooperation (IAAC)
USDA’s GAIN Report Food Processing Ingredients New Opportunities for U.S. High Value Added Products and Ingredients (2017)
USDA’s GAIN Report Food Service - Hotel Restaurant Institutional Excellent Export Opportunities for U.S. Processed Foods and Gourmet Products (2017)
USDA’s GAIN Report Chile Exporter Guide (2016)
USDA’s GAIN Report Chile Exporter Guide Excellent Opportunities for U.S. Exports of Agricultural and Related Products (2017)
USDA's GAIN Report Chile Retail Foods (2016)
USDA’S GAIN Report Chile Food and Agricultural Import Regulations and Standards - Narrative (2016)