Government Agency(s)/Competent Authority
Authorized Government Agency(s):
Ministry of Agriculture
Agency(s) Contact Information:
Ministry of Agriculture
Address: 1/11 Orlikov Pereulok, Moscow 107139
Telephone/fax: (495) 607-80-00; (495) 607-83-62
Organic Regulations and/or Standards
Name(s) of Regulation and/or Standard:
On June 29, 2016 Russian President Vladimir Putin signed Decree #305, extending the ban on certain imported foods from the United States, Canada, the European Union, Australia, Norway, Ukraine, Albania, Montenegro, Iceland, and Lichtenstein until the end of 2017. The products banned include beef, pork, poultry, fish and seafood products, fruits and nuts, vegetables, and some sausages and most prepared foods. Organic baby food is exempt from the ban.
On November 6, 2014, the last updated version of the Federal Law “On Production of Organic Products” was published on the official website for public comments. See the GAIN Reports in Additional Information below for more details and unoffical translations of key documents.
Date of Implementation:
Regulation and/or Standard Scope:
The draft law defines organic products, where its main feature is compliance with the requirements of national or international standards of organic agricultural products. Manufacture of organic products encompasses growing, manufacturing, and processing of agricultural raw materials and food. The regulations also cover imported products.
Certification and Accreditation
To label a product as organic, the product would need to document one of the following:
- The national standard for organic agricultural products (provisional national standard for organic agricultural products),
- An international standard for organic agricultural products or the standard for organic agricultural products of the foreign state registered in the Federal Information Fund of Technical Regulations and Standards,
- A foreign or Russian certification system for organic products.
- Organic products are certified in accordance with the requirements of the laws of the Russian Federation on technical regulation.
- Assessment to confirm that agricultural products conform to the specified documents is carried out voluntarily based on the agreement between agricultural producers and certification authorities in accordance with the laws on technical regulation.
USDA’S GAIN Report Russian Federation Organic Baby Food Inputs Excluded from Russian Food Ban (2016)
USDA’S GAIN Report Russian Federation Food and Agricultural Import Regulations and Standards - Narrative (2016)
USDA’S GAIN Report Russian Federation Exporter Guide (2015)
USDA’S GAIN Report Russian Federation National Organic Standard Terms and Definitions Approved (2015)
USDA’S GAIN Report Russian Federation Draft Law of Organic Production Announced (2014)
USDA’S GAIN Report Russian Federation Draft National Standard for Organic Production Announced (2014)
USDA’S GAIN Report Russian Federation New Draft Organic Regulations Available for Public Comments (2014)