Government Agency(s)/Competent Authority
Authorized Government Agency(s):
Philippine Department of Agriculture's Bureau of Agriculture and Fisheries Standards (BAFPS)
Agency(s) Contact Information:
Organic Regulations and/or Standards
Name(s) of Regulation and/or Standard:
July 2016: Updated Philippine National Organic Standards (PNS/BAFS 07:2016)
Department of Agriculture circulars
June 27, 2016: Five circulars were published in the Philippine Star:
- Department Circular No. 2 Series of 2015: Guidelines for the conduct of Validation Process for the Registration of Organic Primary and Postharvest Food, Non-Food and Input Producers.
- Department Circular No. 3 Series of 2015: Rules and Regulations on the Registration of Primary and Postharvest Organic Food and Non-Food Products
- Department Circular No. 4 Series of 2015: Revised Guidelines on the Provision of Certification Subsidy Incentive for Organic Agriculture Entities/ Farmers and Organic Input Producers
- Department Circular No. 5 Series of 2015: Revised Rules and Regulations on the Registration of Organic Fertilizer Producers
- Department Circular No. 5 Series of 2015: Revised Guidelines for the Official Accreditation of Organic Certifying Bodies (OCBs)
Philippine National Organic Aquaculture Standards (PNS/BAFS 112:2016). Standards for organic aquaculture feeds are also in development.
August 2014: Updated Philippine National Standard (PNS/BAFPS 07:2014 - Organic Agriculture) replaces PNS/BAFPS 07:2003.
Republic Act 10068 or the Organic Agriculture Act of 2010 for the development and promotion of Philippine Organic Agriculture.
Implementing Rules and Regulations of Republic Act 10068
Philippine National Standard in organic agriculture (PNS/BAFPS 07:2003) (.pdf; in English)
Executive Order No. 481 Promotion and Development of Organic Agriculture in the Philippines establishes the National Organic Program (Scroll to find download; .pdf; in English)
Date of Implementation:
Regulation and/or Standard Scope:
The PNS is a mandatory regulation for sectors involved in the production and marketing of organic agriculture. The PNS covers sub-standards consisting of six parts, conversion to organic agriculture, crop production, processing, livestock, special products including mushrooms and honey, and labeling. Aquaculture standards are also available.
Certification and Accreditation
International certifiers doing business in the country, whether as sole or in partnership with local certifiers, must first secure clearance from the BAFPS of the Department of Agriculture prior to any business transaction related to organic certification. List of accredited certifiers.
BAFPS serves as the chair of the National Accreditation Committee which accredits certifying bodies as prescribe in the guidelines.
Harmonized with the IFOAM Basic Standards (IBS) and the Codex Alimentarius Standards for Organic Produce (CAC GL 32)
USDA’s GAIN Report Philippines Exporter Guide (2018)
USDA’s GAIN Report Philippines Food Processing Ingredients (2018)
USDA's GAIN Report Philippines Retail Foods (2018)
USDA's GAIN Report Philippines Food Service - Hotel Restaurant Institutional (2018)
USDA’s GAIN Report Philippines Food and Agricultural Import Regulations and Standards - Narrative (2016)